Dreaming about cars and driving is a really rich territory to start understanding some of the fundamentals at work in our lives.
The first things to consider are:
– Who’s driving? Who is actually at the wheel in your dream? This often indicates who or what is controlling your ego or conscious mind. Is it you? Then you are probably making conscious decisions about your life. Is it some one else – your mother, father, teacher, boss? Then look at how you have let their values and beliefs in life become your own. So, you may have learned from your mother that a good woman should always pay attention to how she looks, or your father that a man must prove his success through a good job, and this belief is now “driving” you.
– How do you feel about who’s driving? If you are happy, relaxed or exhilarated, that’s great! Even if it’s not you at the wheel, you may be letting your subconscious or intuition drive you, and this part of your self is helping you get where you want. If you aren’t happy with some one else driving, look for how your beliefs may need to change. Maybe your mothers excessive concern for appearance is making you eat unhealthily, maybe your father’s drive to work harder and harder means you never spend any time with the family. If it’s you at the wheel and you can’t control the car, look for where in your life you feel you don’t have the control you want, or where you need to steer your life in another direction. Or maybe you are trying too hard to control thing, and need to relax a little.
– Do you get to your destination, or do you get lost, break down or crash? A safe arrival is often a reassurance we are heading in the right direction in our life, but look for hints that might help us get there faster, or more directly, or more enjoyably. Maybe your dream is saying to slow down and enjoy the scenic route – instead of rushing to a certain goal, maybe you need to enjoy the process! Dreams of delays, crashing or being lost can indicate you need to take a look at your present course of action and see what needs changing. Crashing can mean literally working so hard that your body “crashes” – this is a clear sign to take some rest, or slow down. Crashing can also be related to your emotional state. Maybe you have been in a relationship that has come to a sudden end, or you know one is about to (maybe deep down, but don’t want to admit to it,) or maybe you fear the relationship ending and feel “out of control.” Remember this is not a prophecy of what will happen, just a reflection of your own fears and subconscious beliefs. Being lost in a car is like your soul being lost. Doing dream work can help you find the direction you need to go. Dreams of cars and driving are often rich in symbols, metaphors and signs. Do you see a green light? This could be telling you to start the thing you are waiting to start. Are you driving in the dark without lights? This could mean you feel in some area of your life you are “driving blind” without all the information you need to make decisions. Are you on an open highway? This could mean you feel free and optimistic about where you are heading in life. Or it might mean you are feeling lonely and seeking the company of a town or people. Are you stuck in traffic? This could mean something in your life is frustrating you and preventing you from reaching your goals. Or maybe it could be an opportunity to get out of the car and walk, to try a new approach. Only you know where this applies to your own life.
Where do you want to go?
Car dreams ask us:
- Who or what is “driving” us? What beliefs and motivations and behaviours? Do we want to keep them or do they need to change?
- Where do we want to go? Are we headed in the right direction on our life? Do we need to change course?
- How do we want to get there? Do we need to slow down or hurry up? Do we need to take a more scenic route, or stop and pick up something or someone that we may have lost or forgotten?
- Who can help us get where we want, to achieve our goals?
- What warning signs (often literally road signs) do we need to pay attention to?
While having a dream about driving can highlight where we feel distressed, confused or out of control, by making small changes in our life we can take the wheel of our own destiny, and drive our own lives forward with happy confidence.
You may also be interested in the following posts
The meaning of other people in dreams
The meaning of landscapes in dreams
The meaning of a window in dreams
The meaning of being chased in a dream
The meaning of colours in dreams